[volt-nuts] Anyone know how to make stable inductors?

Ed Breya eb at telight.com
Thu Aug 20 12:40:24 EDT 2015

The method described in the document would not make an actual inductor -
it apparently fools the 4-port machine by providing the equivalent
signals that the inductance would have. You can avoid getting precision
inductors, and just go with this method (which I think is pretty clever
if it actually works), or just use precision capacitors - they will
provide negative inductance readout, which can be used for checking,
with a little math applied.

If the R-C bridge method works, it would provide a nice equivalent L
over wide frequency range. I'll have to try it too. It should be easy
enough to rig up for testing to see how it works, before committing to
building any fancy precision versions.

A few years ago I made up a bunch of reference (1% - good enough for my
needs) capacitors in decades and in 1.59... (5/pi) ratios that I use for
checking test and fixture setups to confirm proper running of my HP4276.
I have an excel table that lists the caps and the L and R equivalents at
the main test frequencies. The 1.59... ratio ones allow for round number
decade negative L values for convenience.

Ed