[volt-nuts] Replace neons with LEDs in Fluke 845AB

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 12:18:56 EDT 2016

Silicon replacements should work fine; I would try the TIP30 or other
low current and slow power transistors like the BD234/BD236/BD238. The
only thing I would worry about is oscillation during switching if the
replacements are too fast and that is something I would check with an
oscilloscope by monitoring the collector waveform.

The transistors operate in saturation so the bias change will be
insignificant; the higher Vbe of silicon will lower the frequency by
about 3%.

I could not find any data on the GA2817 shown in the parts list.  The
minimum Vce in the circuit is double the supply voltage.  I think Ic
is below 100 milliamps.