[volt-nuts] Suggestions for 10 milli Ohm 0.04 % 100 W resistor

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Tue May 17 13:51:20 EDT 2016

Hi,

The first question is, what do you need to power that's 2KW? And what
ever that is, do you need that much accuracy at 2KW! :)

Having a couple of 1.2KW power supplies on the bench as I type this, I
tend to agree that that level of accuracy probably isn't needed. If this
were my supply, a simple check to the limit of my DMM would be all I
would do. You should be able to extrapolate 2 or 3 times to a more
reasonable current level. Short of that, look for a good current shunt.

Yes, load testing a supply to 2KW isn't trivial. My recommendation is a
whole bunch of incandescent light bulbs. A120V bulb if you can find
them, work reasonably well at 70V. We get them here for pretty cheap,
and you can solder solid copper wire onto them to make a big array...

Good luck on the supply!

Dan