[volt-nuts] Screws in bottom of 3457A

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 15:03:27 EDT 2017

On 11 June 2017 at 08:19, John Phillips <john.phillips0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are sending it in you could just tape the cases halves together and
> let them replace the screws. You may want to check with them about it but I
> would be more surprised than not if they charged you for it.

I don't want to push my luck. From what I understand, if something goes
into Keysight for "repair", the repair is performed before any measurements
are taken of the instrument. When my 4284A LCR meter was sent to Keysight,
I did not get any information about the state it was sent, as a software
upgrade (support for 2 m and 4 m cables) was added before the instrument
was calibrated. The upgrade was free.

So they would seem to be doing me a favor by checking the meter, then
changing the battery, then checking calibrating it. This is not normal
practice, so I'm not keen to send the 3457A in bits, if I can put it back
together. M4 screws are very easy to obtain in the UK, I will see if I have
some 45 / 50 mm ones, but if not, will order some.

Dave