time-nuts@lists.febo.com

Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

View all threads

GPSDO replacement recommendation

AK
Attila Kinali
Sun, Apr 14, 2024 12:24 PM

Moin,

My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a
replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state
of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation
for getting a GPSDO is, these days.

Thanks in advance

		Attila Kinali

--
Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious
after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes

Moin, My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation for getting a GPSDO is, these days. Thanks in advance Attila Kinali -- Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes
DG
David G. McGaw
Sun, Apr 14, 2024 1:51 PM

Hi Attila,

You might check the OCXO.  I recently repaired a Symmetricom UCCM that
the oscillator had died.  There are replacements available on-line and
there are footprints on the PCB to accommodate various versions.  The
only gotcha on the Symmetricom version was that it uses an oscillator
with 12V supply and 5V oscillators did not work. Had to replace with
same.  The others, Trimble and Samsung, use more generic 5V oscillators.

David N1HAC

On 4/14/24 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts wrote:

Moin,

My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a
replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state
of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation
for getting a GPSDO is, these days.

Thanks in advance

		Attila Kinali
Hi Attila, You might check the OCXO.  I recently repaired a Symmetricom UCCM that the oscillator had died.  There are replacements available on-line and there are footprints on the PCB to accommodate various versions.  The only gotcha on the Symmetricom version was that it uses an oscillator with 12V supply and 5V oscillators did not work. Had to replace with same.  The others, Trimble and Samsung, use more generic 5V oscillators. David N1HAC On 4/14/24 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts wrote: > Moin, > > My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a > replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state > of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation > for getting a GPSDO is, these days. > > Thanks in advance > > Attila Kinali >
BC
Bob Camp
Sun, Apr 14, 2024 1:53 PM

Hi

Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble version. Both appear to work pretty well.

If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices.  Each of them has it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. The SRS FS740 is one example. It does indeed have its quirks. Not exactly cheap, and still far from the most expensive option.

https://www.thinksrs.com/products/fs740.html

At least two list members have one of them.

In this era of multi-band GNSS as well as anti-spoofing / anti-jam there are a lot of ways to run up the price :).

How crazy do you want to get?

Bob

On Apr 14, 2024, at 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

Moin,

My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a
replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state
of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation
for getting a GPSDO is, these days.

Thanks in advance

		Attila Kinali

--
Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious
after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes

Hi Cost wise, the surplus UCCM Trimble’s (or the Symmetricom version) still seem be the one to go with. At the same price, I’d go for the Trimble version. Both appear to work pretty well. If cost is no object, there are lots of crazy choices. Each of them has it's own unique advantages and (usually) unique issues. The SRS FS740 is one example. It does indeed have its quirks. Not exactly cheap, and still far from the most expensive option. https://www.thinksrs.com/products/fs740.html At least two list members have one of them. In this era of multi-band GNSS as well as anti-spoofing / anti-jam there are a lot of ways to run up the price :). How crazy do you want to get? Bob > On Apr 14, 2024, at 8:24 AM, Attila Kinali via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > Moin, > > My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a > replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state > of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation > for getting a GPSDO is, these days. > > Thanks in advance > > Attila Kinali > > -- > Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious > after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
WB
Wilko Bulte
Sun, Apr 14, 2024 8:06 PM

hi Atilla,

Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with signal levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to acquire lock.

I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay.

hth,
Wilko

On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com wrote:

Moin,

My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a
replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state
of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation
for getting a GPSDO is, these days.

Thanks in advance

        Attila Kinali

--
Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious
after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes

hi Atilla, Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with signal levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to acquire lock. I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay. hth, Wilko > On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > Moin, > > My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a > replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state > of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation > for getting a GPSDO is, these days. > > Thanks in advance > > Attila Kinali > > -- > Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious > after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
WB
Wilko Bulte
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 12:43 PM

another option would be a Furuno GF-8705

ogp.png
[1]GF-8705 from FURUNO ELECTRIC (Multi-GNSS Disciplined Oscillator)
[2]qzss.go.jp

I obtained one for €40. It has a sensitive GPS rx, is fast to acquire
lock and is a compact, even smaller than the UCCM. For those that care:
it sports a programmable clock output too.

Downside: LH does not know about it. There is free Furuno software to
program and monitor it.

hth,

Wilko

 On 15 Apr 2024, at 14:12, Wilko Bulte <wkb@xs4all.nl> wrote:

[...]

References

Visible links:

  1. https://qzss.go.jp/en/usage/products/furuno_160915.html
  2. https://qzss.go.jp/en/usage/products/furuno_160915.html

Hidden links:
4. https://qzss.go.jp/en/usage/products/furuno_160915.html

another option would be a Furuno GF-8705 ogp.png [1]GF-8705 from FURUNO ELECTRIC (Multi-GNSS Disciplined Oscillator) [2]qzss.go.jp I obtained one for €40. It has a sensitive GPS rx, is fast to acquire lock and is a compact, even smaller than the UCCM. For those that care: it sports a programmable clock output too. Downside: LH does not know about it. There is free Furuno software to program and monitor it. hth, Wilko On 15 Apr 2024, at 14:12, Wilko Bulte <wkb@xs4all.nl> wrote: hi Atilla, Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with signal levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to acquire lock. I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay. hth, Wilko On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: Moin, My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for a replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current state of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current recommendation for getting a GPSDO is, these days. Thanks in advance Attila Kinali -- Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes _______________________________________________ time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com References Visible links: 1. https://qzss.go.jp/en/usage/products/furuno_160915.html 2. https://qzss.go.jp/en/usage/products/furuno_160915.html Hidden links: 4. https://qzss.go.jp/en/usage/products/furuno_160915.html
ericsp@gmail.com
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 2:44 PM

I have been doing an analysis of GPSDO's from the usual auction site. These are usually coupled with a crystal I have done the $99.99 TM4313 one and the BG7TBL (2019 version) $150.00. I have started to keep a spread sheet of the Allen variance as well as the Pk-Pk deviation. The analysis has been 100 Samples averaged with gate times of 0.01, .1, 1, 10, and 100 seconds. I have found them to wobble around 20uHz range and up in to the low mHz (>9mHz) If there is a place I can post the Excel document I am happy to do so.

Testing was done on a HP 53230A with an SRS FS725 as its time base. This is backed up by a GPSDO 1pps -> FS725.
Warm up and settling times are as follows

FS725 - more than a month
HP 53230A - More than 1 Hour (Internal clock not used)
GPSDO under test - 24 Hours or more for stability

I will have videos about this testing on YouTube in a few weeks.

Eric

[...]

I have been doing an analysis of GPSDO's from the usual auction site. These are usually coupled with a crystal I have done the $99.99 TM4313 one and the BG7TBL (2019 version) $150.00. I have started to keep a spread sheet of the Allen variance as well as the Pk-Pk deviation. The analysis has been 100 Samples averaged with gate times of 0.01, .1, 1, 10, and 100 seconds. I have found them to wobble around 20uHz range and up in to the low mHz (>9mHz) If there is a place I can post the Excel document I am happy to do so. Testing was done on a HP 53230A with an SRS FS725 as its time base. This is backed up by a GPSDO 1pps -> FS725. Warm up and settling times are as follows FS725 - more than a month HP 53230A - More than 1 Hour (Internal clock not used) GPSDO under test - 24 Hours or more for stability I will have videos about this testing on YouTube in a few weeks. Eric -----Original Message----- From: Wilko Bulte via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2024 4:06 PM To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> Cc: Attila Kinali <attila@kinali.ch>; Wilko Bulte <wkb@xs4all.nl> Subject: [time-nuts] Re: GPSDO replacement recommendation hi Atilla, Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with signal levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to acquire lock. I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay. hth, Wilko > On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > Moin, > > My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for > a replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current > state of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current > recommendation for getting a GPSDO is, these days. > > Thanks in advance > > Attila Kinali > > -- > Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious after they > are explained. -- Pardot Kynes > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send > an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com _______________________________________________ time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
DG
David G. McGaw
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 2:54 PM

The only caution for the Samsung version is it has a bit different
serial protocol, but Lady Heather version 6.14 knows how to talk to it.
There is also a patch that helps - grounding pin 39 of the 50-pin
connector to sync to the internal GPS PPS (this is true of all
versions).  The Samsung is also very critical for supply voltage, 5V
min, 5.5V max, to keep the power fail light off.  I have several of all
versions.

David N1HAC

On 4/15/24 8:43 AM, Wilko Bulte via time-nuts wrote:

[...]

The only caution for the Samsung version is it has a bit different serial protocol, but Lady Heather version 6.14 knows how to talk to it.  There is also a patch that helps - grounding pin 39 of the 50-pin connector to sync to the internal GPS PPS (this is true of all versions).  The Samsung is also very critical for supply voltage, 5V min, 5.5V max, to keep the power fail light off.  I have several of all versions. David N1HAC On 4/15/24 8:43 AM, Wilko Bulte via time-nuts wrote: > another option would be a Furuno GF-8705 > > ogp.png > [1]GF-8705 from FURUNO ELECTRIC (Multi-GNSS Disciplined Oscillator) > [2]qzss.go.jp > > I obtained one for €40. It has a sensitive GPS rx, is fast to acquire > lock and is a compact, even smaller than the UCCM. For those that care: > it sports a programmable clock output too. > > Downside: LH does not know about it. There is free Furuno software to > program and monitor it. > > hth, > > Wilko > > On 15 Apr 2024, at 14:12, Wilko Bulte <wkb@xs4all.nl> wrote: > > hi Atilla, > Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but > sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with > signal levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to > acquire lock. > I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble > and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay. > hth, > Wilko > > On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts > <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > Moin, > > My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking > for a > > replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current > state > > of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current > recommendation > > for getting a GPSDO is, these days. > > Thanks in advance > > Attila Kinali > > -- > > Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious > > after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes > > _______________________________________________ > > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > > > > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
JE
Jeremy Elson
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 3:38 PM

Does the BG7TBL unit still have a frequency error? Last time I tested one
of his units the frequency was wrong by about 1e-11 due to a software bug.
(Other people on the Internet have observed the same, e.g.
https://blog.febo.com/?p=636) I was briefly in contact with the designer
via email a couple years ago and he promised a fix but then stopped
replying to my emails.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 8:29 AM Zen via time-nuts time-nuts@lists.febo.com
wrote:

[...]

Does the BG7TBL unit still have a frequency error? Last time I tested one of his units the frequency was wrong by about 1e-11 due to a software bug. (Other people on the Internet have observed the same, e.g. https://blog.febo.com/?p=636) I was briefly in contact with the designer via email a couple years ago and he promised a fix but then stopped replying to my emails. On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 8:29 AM Zen via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > I have been doing an analysis of GPSDO's from the usual auction site. > These are usually coupled with a crystal I have done the $99.99 TM4313 one > and the BG7TBL (2019 version) $150.00. I have started to keep a spread > sheet of the Allen variance as well as the Pk-Pk deviation. The analysis > has been 100 Samples averaged with gate times of 0.01, .1, 1, 10, and 100 > seconds. I have found them to wobble around 20uHz range and up in to the > low mHz (>9mHz) If there is a place I can post the Excel document I am > happy to do so. > > Testing was done on a HP 53230A with an SRS FS725 as its time base. This > is backed up by a GPSDO 1pps -> FS725. > Warm up and settling times are as follows > > FS725 - more than a month > HP 53230A - More than 1 Hour (Internal clock not used) > GPSDO under test - 24 Hours or more for stability > > I will have videos about this testing on YouTube in a few weeks. > > Eric > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Wilko Bulte via time-nuts <time-nuts@lists.febo.com> > Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2024 4:06 PM > To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement < > time-nuts@lists.febo.com> > Cc: Attila Kinali <attila@kinali.ch>; Wilko Bulte <wkb@xs4all.nl> > Subject: [time-nuts] Re: GPSDO replacement recommendation > > hi Atilla, > > Assuming you can find one: the Samsung UCCM is form/fit compatible but > sports a much more sensitive GPS module. Fast satellite lock with signal > levels that made Trimble and Symm. UCCM modules very slow to acquire lock. > > I happen to own 2 of these Samsungs. Previously also had both a Trimble > and a Symm UCCM. The Samsungs were to stay. > > hth, > Wilko > > > On 14 Apr 2024, at 15:17, Attila Kinali via time-nuts < > time-nuts@lists.febo.com> wrote: > > > > Moin, > > > > My house GPSDO (a Trimble UCCM) died recently and I am now looking for > > a replacement. As I have been a bit out of touch with the current > > state of affairs regarding GPSDOs, I'd like to ask what the current > > recommendation for getting a GPSDO is, these days. > > > > Thanks in advance > > > > Attila Kinali > > > > -- > > Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious after they > > are explained. -- Pardot Kynes > > _______________________________________________ > > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send > > an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com To unsubscribe send an > email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com > _______________________________________________ > time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts@lists.febo.com > To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave@lists.febo.com
B_
Bryan _
Mon, Apr 15, 2024 3:39 PM

Spec sheet states protocol is eSIP (NMEA 0183 Standard Ver 4.10). Would have thought LH would recognize.

-=Bryan=-