[time-nuts] Do we need something like this ? Part II

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Mon Jun 13 15:11:40 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,

as i read from your postings, using the Beck SC12 is the biggest concern
that you have regarding this project. Actually i do not believe that i
run into a performance problem. The FTP server is only used for software
updates and normally shut down. The Telnet server is only used for debug
purposes and otherwise shut down. Processor time is mainly shared
between my application and the webserver with my application generating
app. 20% average processor load and 30% peak. The other time is
available for the webserver. If all the hell is going loose concerned
processor load one could switch to a SC13 which is effectively a SC12
with double clock rate and double processing power + a combined 10/100
MBit network controller.

However, it is true that the choice of processor for this task is worth
being discussed. I talked about the SC12 because currently it simply is
that way. I adore the Linux community a lot, but due to reasons beyond
the scope of this discussion i will not become a member of it. What i
have played around with in the last days is a 32 bit risc controller
similar a ppc405 in form of a ip core inside a gate array. That would
lead to kind of SOC solution for the problem and is a interesting
alternative. Any comments on this?

Best regards

Ulrich Bangert
df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de