[time-nuts] Plotter

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Sun Aug 20 18:13:00 UTC 2006

Hi Brooke,

> OK, I'll bite...

is that the official speak of US fish before they bite, hi hi ???

Back to topic: In phase.bmp you see the the phase delay between a M12+
pps and a here generated pps from a free running FRK-L rubidium. The
M12+'s sawtooth correction has been used to give the data a abt. 2 ns
time resolution. The linear phase drift due to a constant frequency
error of the rubidium has been removed for this display.

Now have a look to autocorr.bmp of the same data! There are lots of
local maxima with a seperation of almost 86500 s. These have been
expected to appear due to

a) earth's rotation in the sense that my location is within 24 hrs at
the same location in relation to the gps's satellite system.

b) the diurnal effect in the ionosphere

c) environmental effects (like local temperature) on the FRK-L (they are
greater than you may expect...) being the same from day to day

However, looking at the auto-correlation graph ist seems as if the
auto-correlation is governed MUCH MORE by an effect that should have a
repetition period of 5-6 days! Neither the local weather nor the FRK-L
has a built-in time constant like this! I have currently no good idea
what it is all about but certainly i need some longer time series.
Anyone of you aware of a gps property that could be the reason for a
time constant like that?

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert