[time-nuts] Failure mode in GPS receivers

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Sun Dec 17 19:36:23 UTC 2006

Fellow clock-tickers,

	In the group's experience, what's the most common failure mode for GPS receivers, especially older ones, that could stop them from hearing the sats?

	I ask because my Trak Systems 8820 clock, which has worked perfectly well for nearly a year since I installed it, seems to have gone deaf on the satellite end. It's hooked up to one port of a four-way splitter off the main GPS antenna, and the other two devices hooked up to that same splitter (my network time server and HP frequency standard) are both doing quite well.

	This tells me it's not the splitter, and the receiver module is the first stop after the antenna, so I'm beginning to suspect the worst.

	Advice appreciated, quotes from the Firesign Theater always welcome.

	Thanks much.

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech do/t c=o=m
"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped with surreal ports?"