[time-nuts] Gate propagation delay jitter

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Apr 10 18:10:47 UTC 2007

> I would like to know what are the common methods of introducing
> delays as low as 10ps between two outputs in an FPGA. I do not

I'd try to make the delays within the FPGA the same and then tweak the
external trace lengths.  At that level of detail, you will have to pay
attention to the lengths of the package traces.

Most of the discussion was jitter rather than delay/offset.  I'd expect a lot
of troubles trying to get low jitter out of a FPGA unless you dedicate the
whole chip to this particular task.  If anything else is going on it will be
hard to keep the power supply super clean.  It might be fun to measure.  It
would be interesting to see how much jitter action on the other side of the
chip adds.

One of the wizards on the fpga newsgroup has a war story about clock jitter
due to outputs near the clock input switching.  I forget the details.  It may
have been a single ended clock input.