[time-nuts] OT: Audiophoolery

John Day johnday at wordsnimages.com
Fri Apr 20 20:55:16 UTC 2007

At 04:14 PM 4/20/2007, you wrote:
>It's the $250 HDMI cable
>(http://www.audioconnect.com/html/hdmi-3_hdmi_cable.html) that takes the
>prize IMHO - analog is voodoo to most people and they can be bamboozled
>by talk of SWR's etc- but digital is just digital - it works or it
>doesn't.     I'd be willing to bet that this $250 cable is no better
>than the $19.95 one hooked to my Apple TV (neat toy BTW).

Or $225 for a metre long coax cable with RCA plugs on it for your digital data?

Some years ago in Australia a friend who had 'golden ears' had
purchased some insanely expensive speaker cable. But still wasn't
happy. He had some custom built cabinets and who knows how much power
driving the thing (it was a home brewed thing using KT-88's in
ultralinear class-AB1 if I recall).

But whoever assembled the speakers had used some really lightweight
telephone style wire in the cabinet. The wire had gotten so hot the
insulation was 'dripping' off! All I did was replace it with standard
4 (square mm) auto cable, and he was happier than a pig in a pile of
excrement.  I put up with 10 years of his boasting before I told him
what I had used.

The day I told him I played a trick on him. I invited him around to
hear my system. In those days a pair of home-brewed Klipsch
look-alikes. He raved, until he saw that the amp wasn't the big
glowing thing on the bench, I was using a simple National
Semiconductor LM2875 amp and some standard 3 core mains cable top
connect it to the speakers. We still talk, but he is a little less
boastful now. Sadly the Corner horns didn't survive a divorce and a
move to smaller digs.

John