[time-nuts] 10MHz to 32MHz?

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sat Apr 21 18:54:35 UTC 2007

From: "Bruce Lane" <kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com>
Subject: [time-nuts] 10MHz to 32MHz?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:26:23 -0700

> Fellow time-clockers,
>
> 	I have an interesting (if a bit annoying) situation. I would like to use one of my existing GPS standards to improve stability on one of my HF transceivers. The problem is that said transceiver, for reasons unknown to me, uses a 32MHz reference oscillator.
>
> 	The highest GPS-lock frequency I have available is 10MHz. Suggestions for using this to produce a 32MHz reference would be welcome, as my skills for this kind of design are a bit rusty.

The most straight-forward fashion is naturally to lock it through a PLL.

Highest common comparator frequency is 2 MHz, so divide 10 MHz by 5 and 32 by
16, compare with SR-gate, use either a passive lag or better yeat, and active
loop. Three digital ICs and an op-amp. If the 32 MHz reference is a crystal
then hooking into the caps for a varicap is easy enought for most hams.

Cheers,
Magnus