[time-nuts] 5370B on eBay, carrier phase tracking GPS receiver

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Feb 19 01:49:12 UTC 2007

John,

One was sold by sierrametals (went for $250), the other by
electronicswest (went for $104)

I remember your posting but did not associate it with these items. I bid
on both, just in case since they were still at $20 an hour before close,
but I was not even close to final price, in either case. That's OK, I
certainly don't need another 5370, but I could not help it :-)

On a different subject, I just won a Novatel Superstar 2 GPS receiver
advertised to do "carrier phase tracking". It's specification lists a
timing accuracy of 50nS typical, which is not bad at all for a GPS that
does not have an OCXO, I think.

I remember seeing a number of postings on time-nuts (must have been
Bruce) advocating the increased performance of carrier phase tracking,
but I need to educate myself about what it is and what good it can do
for me :-)

Any feedback regarding whether I am getting something useful, or just
another item to go in the junk box (I did not break the bank, it went
for $0.99, and $10 shipping...)

Didier KO4BB