[time-nuts] bad lcd readout on austron 2100 loran

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Jun 29 19:04:33 UTC 2007

The Austron 2100 LCD display plugs into two very long sip strips on the
display panel.  It does not use the pressure connected zebra strips.

However, it does suffer greatly from bad contacts and tin whiskers.  It
should be very carefully removed, and the contact pins should be dampened
with deoxit, or some other contact cleaner/lubricant.  The socket strips
should be blown out with compressed air, and then reassemble.

Another vexing problem with the 2100 family is the keyboard decoder/debounce
circuitry.  As the keypad ages, the contacts get dirty, and the bounce period
increases dramatically.  The keyboard decoder/debounce chips each have a
1uf tantalum capacitor associated with it that is the time constant for the
debounce circuitry.  The key switch contacts should be cleaned, and the
capacitor should be replaced with a 10uf tantalum.  I am not sure how to
clean the switch contacts..., but they should be cleaned.

-Chuck Harris