[time-nuts] Power supply for Thunderbolt

iovane at inwind.it iovane at inwind.it
Mon Apr 21 13:46:03 UTC 2008

> Alternatively since you only need 25mA @ +12V, 25mA @ -12V and 300mA
> @+5V (if I'm reading the right datasheet) you can use a much lower
> voltage output transformer suited to the 5V regulator and use a pair of
> voltage doublers or triplers to feed your 12V regulators.
> A 7.5- 0 - 7.5V transformer should suffice (if you use low dropout
> linear regulators), and the total linear regulator dissipation should
> only be a few watts in normal operation.

Bruce,

The thunderbolt manual says 750 mA @ +12V, 400 mA @ +5V and 10 mA @ -12V.
I also purchased from Aibin Guo a Mean Well. Model: T-30B
power supply along with a thunderbolt (and I'm satisfied), but I'm
planning to use a multitap transformer for positive voltages,
and, for -12V, one of those switching miniature modules (less
 than inch sized) often used to generate rs232 +/-12V; I have
some of them on surplus boards. I thing that the -12V serves
 only to the rs232 port on the thunderbolt.
Just another idea.

Antonio I8IOV