[time-nuts] FEI 5680A

Jean-Christophe Deschamps jcd at q-e-d.org
Wed Mar 5 17:30:52 UTC 2008

Dear group,

I'm a newbie here, so please bear with me.

I'm about to buy a FEI 5680A Rubidium frequency standard off
ebay.  From what I've gathered, these units were used in the telco
industry for about 10 years, but are still useable for my needs.  I
wish to have a reasonably good frequency standard for calibrating test
equipment (scope calibrators, function generators, etc), say every 6
months or once a year.  For such use I really don't need extreme
stability/accuracy.  Only hope is that the physics part isn't
completely dead.

These units typically only produce a 1pps signal, but have the capacity
to produce the classical 10 MHz sine wave.

I've found a number of documents explaining how to have the 10 MHz
produced by these versions.  Two of them give consistent informations
and seem to be sufficiently documented to be of real value.

Drop me a mail at jcd at q-e-d.org if you feel posting the files could
help someone.  I don't know how to post files so that readers of this
list can access them. Anyway, I'll postpone distributing the files at
large until I check by myself their contents is useful.

Feedback welcome!

<mailto:jcd at q-e-d.org>jcd at q-e-d.org

        The number you have reached is imaginary !
        Rotate your modem 90 degrees, and try again.