[time-nuts] US Shipping Was huntron tracker advice

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 27 13:54:51 UTC 2008

On 11/27/08 12:42 AM, "Robert Atkinson" <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> One reasion why many US dealers will not ship otside the USA is the ITAR
> export regulations (Google it!). These are very hard to follow and the
> penalties are heavy. I know a couple of dealers have been warned and have just
> decided not to export anything rather than take the risk.
> Robert G8RPI.

Too bad "I ship only to US addresses" isn't a safe harbor for ITAR.  What if
"foreign person" Bob Smith lives in Podunk, Iowa...  You'll still go to jail
if Bob Smith happens to be a representative for a evil-doer, even if ol' Bob
was born, lived, and makes his home in Podunk and takes care of his mother,
eats apple pie, and plays baseball every week.

I think the ebay "CONUS only" phenomenon is more laziness... You could have
a single shipping fee.

There's also the purported difficulty of getting paid from a foreign country
(hmm.. Services like PayPal, might have fixed that)