[time-nuts] US Shipping Was huntron tracker advice

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Nov 27 12:13:24 EST 2008

Hi David:

I got a couple of Austron 2000 LORAN-C timing receivers from Government 
Liquidation and they required an End Use Certification.  One was sold to 
someone on this list.  Later a couple of investigators showed up at my house 
(that required a long trip from Sacramento and an overnight stay at a hotel, 
two agents = two rooms, food, etc.).  They wanted to see the two receivers or 
get the name and address where they were.  The cost to make this audit far 
exceeded what I paid for the two receivers.  Note these are commercial items, 
not military specific, but I suspect they were purchased for use on a military 
program and so have been tagged with that program's restraints.  Not the 
brightest thing to do, but something that does not require anyone in the 
government to think.

EUC items can be shipped internationally and that's a provision of the terms of 
the EUC.  The problem is that to do it requires getting an export license. 
That's something that I haven't done and probably requires a steep learning 
curve or hiring someone to do it.  Not economical for items that sell for under 
maybe $10k or $100k.

I have a small home business and ship world wide.  But that requires a customs 
form be filled out and attached to the package and most of the time also a trip 
to the Post Office.  So there's an added cost both in terms of dollars and time.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke

More information about the time-nuts mailing list