[time-nuts] Pizza anyone?

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 18 21:04:59 UTC 2009

Yes,  I also assumed that having the lip of the pan facing up would not be good.  I mounted the antenna on the bottom of the pan.  In the center of the top of the pan (the side where the pizza would be) I glued a 5/8-11 nut.  This is the standard size used on most surveying instruments,  antennas,  and tripods.  I can't flip the thing over to test the difference the lip would make (but the pan was only $3 at Target).

For my next antenna test,  I also bought a cake pan.  I want to see what happens when you mount the patch inside the pan.  I want to try it both bare metal,  and with the inside of the pan laminated in carbon fiber.   The idea is the side of the pan will act as a poor man's choke ring and block signals from lower elevations.  The carbon fiber lining should help absorb reflections from the insides of the pan.

I have been thinking that maybe keeping the edge/ridge upwards may be a
bad thing, so maybe flipp it over and see what ridge downards is better?