[time-nuts] Distribution Amp project

Dave M masondg44 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 30 04:16:12 UTC 2009

While investigating recent threads on Distribution Amps, I ran across a DA
project on Didier's web site at
http://www.ko4bb.com/Timing/Distribution_Amp/ and
http://www.ko4bb.com/ham_radio/Extron_3_80/.  Those pages describe using an
Extron ADA 3 80 analog video distribution amp to distribute a 10 MHz
frequency reference to lab instruments.  It seems to be a cheap, easy way to
get a set of reference frequencies throughout a small lab.  I would be
interested to hear about any further testing and characterization was done
with that setup, such as noise, distortion, etc.

I have a couple of the Extron DAs to play with, and would like to use them
if they will do the job.  I'm only looking for frequency distribution; not
timing.   Frequencies of interest are: 10MHz, 5MHz and 1MHz.
I haven't been able to find schematics for the Extron DA, but according to
the author's discussion, it seems to be very similar to the DA circuit
schematics at http://www.ko4bb.com/~bruce/IsolationAmplifiers.html.  I
haven't had time to reverse engineer the circuit in my Extron DA, but it
surely would be nice to avoid it if possible.  Anyone have a schematic, or a
source for it?

Also, looking for a source of low cost 1:1 and 2:1 Ethernet transformers.
I've tried the local computer shops, but they don't seem to be interested in
helping.

Dave M