[time-nuts] Lifetime of glass containers

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Mon Jun 15 20:07:48 UTC 2009

time-nuts-bounces at febo.com wrote on 06/15/2009 03:56:42 PM:

> Not to charge in, but I've looked at ordinary window pane glass in very
old
> buildings and you can actually see the rippling effect that occurred
over
> time, showing the "flow" of the glass toward the lower edge of the pane.
One
> presumes that the panes were relatively uniform when installed 120 years

> earlier. Sounds liquid to me.

It's hard to say because the panes were not flat to begin with.  Window
glass was then made by manually blowing a big cylinder and then cutting
the hot glass and unrolling the cylinder onto a flat charcoal surface. The
ripples are largely parallel to the axis of that original cylinder.

Modern window glass is made by pouring a sheet of molten glass out onto
molten tin, where the glass floats and flattens itself.  The glass sheet
is pushed steadily away from the glass pot, cooling as it goes until hard
enough to cut into sheets.  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Float_glass>

Joe Gwinn