[time-nuts] Z3805 vs Z3816/Z3801

Iain Young iain at g7iii.net
Thu Jun 25 18:47:57 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm thinking about adding a Z3805 to my existing Z3816 (once I get the
3816 up and running once the sparky has finished putting electricity
in the garage!)

However, I have a few questions that I need to answer before I actually
make that decision, and as I'm sure those of you who have a Z3805 know,
finding the manual is...a challenge...

Anyway, does anyone know:

a) The Power requirements. The 3801 and 3816 differ in Voltage
requirements as I understand it, anyone able to tell me what the
3805 needs/wants/likes to be fed ?

b) Pictures I've seen appear to show BNC rather than SMA connectors,
can someone with 3805 confirm ? (Not that it's such a massive issue,
but extra cables or converters required...)

c) 16 channel GPS RX is great. But anyone know if it wants to feed
3.3V or 5V up to the antenna ?

d) Anyone know if it works with the Type 26 NTP reference clock driver ?
Anyone actually have it running this way ?

Finally, a generic question about all 3 of these HP/Agilent/Symmetricon
devices: I know the PPS spec -isn't- at RS-232 levels, however nor is
the Garmin GPS-18, and that worked raw for me. Has anyone tried just
feeding the PPS signal from a 3801/05/16 into the DCD pin of a serial
port ?

Iain