[time-nuts] state of the art devide by ten

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 30 05:02:34 UTC 2009

Said

Yes, but they don't come in a single DIP package.
A switch tail ring counter or Johnson counter like the 74HC4017 divide
by 10 also works well.
However they don't cascade synchronously and aren't available in 74AC or
later lower jitter logic families.
Depending on the output phase noise of the particular Rubidium source a
74HC4017 may have more than adequate performance for the first divide by 10.
However a low jitter buffer is likely to be required to drive the load.

The simplest way using what is to hand is to use 74xx90's together with
some 74XX74 resynchronising flipflops.
However dedicate each 74XX74 to a single frequency output to minimise
intermodulation between outputs.

Bruce