[time-nuts] LORAN-C demise

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 29 22:44:20 UTC 2009

Stanley Reynolds wrote:
> It is clear that the government and commercial interest made a decision about GPS backup by not developing or using loran or other systems. The question is if the GPS signal stops as the loran signal will what will I check my standards with ?  By stopping I mean a system frailer due to non malices causes, software bug, meteor shower etc. If we could convince the government maybe the GEOS signal again or some other low budget option.

I don't expect that the full impact of a decission or even lack of
decission is ever being covered. That's just how it works.

Many organisations does not at all times make deep analysis and come to
conclusions on the full spectra of the issue at hand. For them to see
sufficiently wide they need a hint that there is something to follow up,
so spreading the knowledge of fragility of systems, the possibility for
backups or other strategies is the best we can do.

GPS is a fragile service, for many reasons. LORAN-C can be one of
several systems providing backup. Other plans could also be used.

Cheers,
Magnus