[time-nuts] Loran C sounds

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 07:04:48 UTC 2010

Australia never had LORAN. At one stage I think a Decca system was
trialed, but never installed.
We had a system of secondary radar called DME from the late 50s -
early 60s. A randomised pulse pair was sent out from the plane and
was received
by a beacon at the airport. The beacon digested it for 14 odd
microseconds and sent out a reply pulse. The two way delay was displayed
in nautical miles on a cockpit indicator. The range was 200+ miles at
VHF and the pulse pairing could interrogate other beacons by changing
pulse spacing.
With three beacons and a compass how could you get lost?
I do not know how shipping located themselves.
cheers, Neville Michie