[time-nuts] HP 5245L counter circa 1967 humor

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Sat Jan 9 04:28:46 UTC 2010

At 9:27 PM -0500 1/8/10, paul swed wrote:
>Hello to the group.
>For whatever reason I have resurrected a 1967 HP 5245L counter. Indeed I
>have many newer units.
>But there is something about that nixie tube glow.
>
>Anyhow as good as HP is, I found interesting failures. Infact simply the
>gold leads on the transistor rusted/rotted off.
>That was most of the issues. Aside from the fact someone really hacked this
>beast to death.
>
>Its looking pretty good at this point, though I do have several nixies that
>are troubled.
>Regards

Coincidence of the day. I spent the other evening in a vain attempt
to get more sensitivity out of my 5245L so that it would respond more
reliably to the tiny 32kHz signal on my nixie wristwatch oscillator.
I'll be tuning up a lot of them in the coming weeks.

I have a parts unit on hand (burned-up oven) and an original manual.
Both come in handy.
--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/