[time-nuts] Fw: AVAR calculation

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 20:41:28 UTC 2010

Filip

I do not understand why filtering is not use more to see what is going on.
At the VERY least should display the moving averages for freq.
As I hope you can see on the XL plot attached, as compared to the other
plots previously shown,
a good filtered signal shows more than JUST "a little slope" or a "may be
significant" trend.
As you probable know ADEV is great for some types of short term noise, but
not always so useful for longer term drift.
ADEV is not a good tool to give the results needed for this type of drift
characterization. Low Tau Noise yes, Drift No.

BUT maybe the problem is:
The Plots shape Trend of that data SURE Looks to be phase and not Freq.
If the data is freq, Then that osc needs something, as it is showing an
increase in ageing over time, maybe due to unplotted effects of temperature
OR TBD.

ws