[time-nuts] HP 3458A CLIP manual

Dick Moore richiem at hughes.net
Tue Jun 8 17:16:12 UTC 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 23:26:13 +0000 (UTC)
> From: jeffhook at comcast.net
> Subject: [time-nuts] HP 3458A schematic/service manual request
> To: time-nuts at febo.com
> Hi,
> I picked up a non-working 3458A at a swapmeet this weekend.
> It has err "202 Hardware Failure :?Slave test-convergance".
> "Assembly-Level Repair Manual"?says its a problem on the A1 board
> Does anyone have a schematic/service manual for this?
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

Jeff and all -- I bought one of the so-called CLIP manuals after I bought my 3458. This manual was done under duress by HP in order to satisfy government requirements. The one I got has board layouts, parts lists, and schematics, all for the original version of the meter. It has no troubleshooting or other service information. It's a good thing to have if you need to know the value of a component or a part number. Beyond that, you're on your own.

The Agilent $2500 "bring it up to current standards" deal is a very good deal, since it includes all parts and a calibration (which is worth $500 alone), and I recommend it if the fault is not obvious on the A1 board. I saw a 3458 from eBay that had an IC on the A1 board completely smoked and the board charred -- it also gave a 202 error... well, no kidding!

Dick Moore