[time-nuts] Question for any HP105 owners

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Aug 30 20:47:59 UTC 2011

Mark,

One more comment on my 1e-12 example. The measurements
that you obtain fix the limits of how bad either oscillator can be;
but it doesn't prove how good either one is.

In one extreme the oscillators could have near equal stability,
say 7e-13 each. As mentioned earlier, that would give you a
measured value of 1e-12 (one for REF, the other for DUT).

But other combinations can also yield a rms measurement
result of 1e-12. For example, 6e-13 and 8e-13, or 2e-13 and
9.8e-13, or 1e-13 and 9.95e-13. So from this you can't really
tell how good one of the oscillators is; all you can be sure of
is that neither one is worse than 1e-12.

It's tempting to think of both oscillators being equal as some
sort of "best case", that is, when you compare them you get
1e-12 and that means each is actually 7e-13. Sounds good.

But I'm sure you agree it would be even better if you later
discovered that the reason your measurement result is 1e-12
was that one oscillator was 1e-12 and the other was 1e-13!

So use the sqrt(2) trick carefully.

/tvb