[time-nuts] Heated crystal? & Rb tube corrosion (FE-5680A)

Peter Bell bell.peter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:14:03 UTC 2011

All I can say, on a purely practical level, is that every Rb vapor
frequency standard I've ever seen or worked on (starting with the old
Eframtom FRK) has run the lamp at about 100c and the Rb cell at about
80c  - the exact temperatures seem to vary a little depending on the
model, but that's how it seems to work in practice.

I just had a look at some of the manuals I have around here, and they
seem to agree (Efratom FRS, Page 3-1) - "Rubidium in the lamp is
heated to a vapor state (approximately 106C) and subjected to a high
energy RF field".  Later on (Page 3-8) "Cavity temperature of about
74C is maintained by the resonator heater control circuit".

I can't find my FRK manual, but from memory it was about the same.

>From the LPRO-101 manual: "The resonator heater power is determined
primarily by the resonator control
temperature of +78°C, the baseplate temperature, and the 15.3 C/W
thermal resistance from the
resonator to baseplate. The lamp heater power is determined primarily
by the lamp control temperature
of +110°C, the baseplate temperature, and the 53 C/W thermal
resistance from the lamp to
baseplate."

SRS-PRS-10

"The block temperature is sensed by two series
100kΩ thermistors, which are directly beneath the TO-220 heaters in
the oven block. (Two
sensors are used because the division of power will depend on the
heater voltage applied to
the unit.) At the operating temperature of 75°C, each thermistor will
have a resistance of
about 15kΩ. The control circuit will allow operation up to 90°C. (For
the lamp, the nominal
operating temperature is 105°C, for which each thermistor will have a
resistance of about
5.5kΩ. The maximum setpoint for the lamp is 122°C.)"