[time-nuts] PN sequence generation using GPS

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Feb 17 12:57:14 UTC 2011

Hi

The key item here is that the system is going to work via amateur radio here in the US. The FCC only lets you use three very specific PN sequences. The three are called out explicitly in the rules. The requirement that they not be reset while transmitting except by feedback is also called out explicitly in the rules. So no fancy stuff with multiple spreaders and the like.

The fact that they work out to primes is not important other than there's not much use trying to factor them. Without any common factors, and with 1 pps as your reset, you get a pretty specific trigger point for reset. It's long enough to not be of much use.

There's a much easier way to do it and keep everybody in sync. GPS gives you time of day along with the 1 pps signal. You agree that at this or that time, everybody starts in sync. It's just time math to figure out where you should be at any 1 pps point. If you aren't where you are supposed to be, you take action.

I suspect you could do all the checking on a 50 cent processor. Latch the data at 1 pps and read the time string. Do the math to check it. Fire the alarm flag it's not right. Not a lot to get done in a second.

Bob