[time-nuts] Freq cal to 1ppm without GPSDO

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Feb 17 17:16:56 UTC 2011

Hi

There is another route to getting where you want to go.

Buy an atomic clock. If you spend some time shopping, telcom rubidium atomic
clocks are out there for sub $50 prices. For $100 you can get one quite
quickly. An Efratom LPRO is one example. There are many others.

They normally put out 10 MHz and some put out 1 pps. I'd avoid the 1 pps
only versions for what you are trying to do.

To be absolutely perfect, you do need to calibrate an Rb. I have never seen
one that was off by more than 0.5 ppb (0.0005 ppm). Their tune range is
rarely more than a few ppb. More or less - if they fire up and lock, they
will do what you need to do.

Of course if you have both the GPS *and* the Rb then you can calibrate the
Rb against the GPS and get it real close. Welcome to time nuts ....

Bob