[time-nuts] 50/60 Hz clocks

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Mar 10 23:47:14 UTC 2011

At 04:54 PM 3/10/2011, Cezary Rozluski wrote...
>Let us suppose I have Thunderbolt (I really have one)  as a
>time/frequency source, but any other time-nuts recognized frequency
>source should by sufficient for the fun to drive old 50/60Hz stuff
>with the highest precision available (and for fun, comparable to
>www.leapsecond.com  solution, modulo cesium/hydrogen clock).  It would
>be very nice to see correction for leap seconds as well :-) :-)

Perhaps a cheap DC/AC inverter (like they make to run AC electronics in
cars or recreational vehicles). I suspect most are crystal controlled
for the frequency. Divide down your 10 MHz to match the crystal, and
inject your more precise frequency. 50 Hz is likely to be easier than
60 Hz, because it is an integer division from 10 MHz.

Then again, even if they're crystal controlled, they may cheat and just
be "close enough." i.e. 32768 Hz crystal, /656 for ~49.95 Hz, /546 for
~60.01 Hz.