[time-nuts] time interval with 10 ps resolution using cheap FPGA ?

Tijd Dingen tijddingen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 16:46:02 UTC 2011

Yes this is very much possible! I am doing a spartan-6 implementation of
a frequency counter that uses some of the ideas in that paper. Both the
coarse counter and interpolator are done in the fpga. For the coarse
counter I use a fast free running counter inside the clock domain of
the frequency under test. This then gets resynchronized into the main
clock domain. The advantage is that there are very few flip-flops that
load the input, which means you can get away with NOT using a IBUFG for
every signal you want to measure. Which is good, since I want multi-
channel.

Anyways, your question was if you could do it with a Papilio. Yes you can.
Some time ago I did some test designs to decide between a spartan-3e and
spartan-6. The result was basically that a counter could be built that
uses the idea of a tapped delay line with trigger started ring oscillator
as excitation. It may come as no surprise that the spartan-6 has a clear
performance advantage.

At that point in time there was also talk of a DIY counter on time-nuts.
See for example the "Frequency counter recommendation" thread starting
december 15 2010 and also in this google group:

http://groups.google.com/group/opencounter/

Unfortunately that project did a good job at playing dead so I downgraded
the weight of that in the total decision. Short version is: I decided to
go with spartan-6 since then the counter has better performance, costs
me about the same design effort.

The main reason to go with spartan-3e would have been for a time-nuts
group effort design. But like I said, project dead == very low weight in
the decision.

Should you still have to buy an fpga board and you want to go for a
spartan-3e board, may I recommend the nexys2 from digilent. It's pretty
good (have used it for several projects), and several people on time-nuts
have one too. See here:

http://groups.google.com/group/opencounter/browse_thread/thread/5d2271f48be78398

hope that answers some of the questions...

regards,
Fred