[time-nuts] Spectracom 8170 Receiver Trouble Requesting help please

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat May 28 23:24:01 UTC 2011

The good receivers do seem to use I+Q. Usually the signal is I and in the
8170 I believe is used to generate the time code. Its not specifically a
Freq rcvr, though I think you can get to everything you need to pull a
reference out for comparison. The Q is generally used for the AGC. So I
might guess the trick would be generate a local 60 KC sig jam it in and see
if it tracks the sig. By being local you could make it large enough to allow
easy troubleshooting with a scope without wwvb typical propagation
variables.
That would let you insure that the AGC is working correctly. I had
downloaded the 8170 manual also as potentially I will have one sometime
soon.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL