[time-nuts] Symmetricom 2700 Time Source

Kevin Rosenberg kevin at rosenberg.net
Mon Nov 21 08:22:12 UTC 2011

On Nov 20, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Frederick Bray wrote:
> There appears to be a 1pps function.  The test documentation that came with mine showed that step # 22 of the "TS2700 PANEL TEST" was a 1 PPS output test.
>
> As I recall from prior reading, there appears to be such an output on the PRS10.  It would be interesting to figure out where this was accessed for the TS2700 panel test.

Hi Fred,

The PPS in/out of the PRS10 do not appear to connected to the TS2700
logic board.

I'll look back the the documentation for step #22. I'm not looking for a
PPS that's just a frequency/period reference, but instead places the PPS
at the GPS PPS position. Perhaps the TS2700 is already do it, but so far,
I've only seed evidence that it's a frequency reference. I was a bit
dismayed that selecting the TOD output as either NTP or Cisco results
in an "unimplemented" error message.

As for the connections between the PRS10 in the TS2700, here's a pinout:

PRS10 Connector  Wire Color  PRS10 function
Pin  4           White       TXD or PHOTO I/V OUT
Pin  6           Green       +24V Heater/Lamp
Pin  7           Red         RXD or EFC OUT
Pin  9           Orange      +24V Electronics
Pin 10           Yellow      Ground

The center coaxial 10 MHz output is connected to
the logic board via a white coaxial (RG-178 ?)
cable.

Pin 1 (PPS out) and Pin 5 (PPS in) are not connected.

After I re-install the PRS10 in the TS2700, I'll add wires
to log the RS-232 communication between the TS2700 and the PRS10.

Thanks for sharing your investigation.

Kevin