[time-nuts] FE-5680A performance - 1 PPS output issue

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 22:12:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM, <bg at lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> > The documentation I have says pin 6 is "N/C" but it looks like there is a
> > way to extract a usable PPS but I think I'm going to need and LC filter,
> > some op amps and a one-shot and a TTL level driver.   My guess is that
> pin
> > 6 is either some kind of engineering test/diagnostic signal not intended
> > to use used or the signal is an accident.
>
> I have two of the older generation. Here the ONLY output is a 1PPS, which
> is divided by a fixed 2^23 from the internal DDS-generated frequency
> (8.3xxxMHz). It is not possible to get both 10MHz and a 1PPS at the same
> time. On the other hand the 8.3xxxMHz is tunable over many MHz.
>
> (One of the units is also suffering from a mishap. 15V connected to the
> 1PPS output did some damage.)

My guess is that these all have the same part numbers because the hardware
is the same.  But one chip is a CPLD which might have some very different
programming depending on what the customer needed  I see some components
where never installed on my unit, so it maybe more than just programming.

> --
>
>    Björn

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California