[time-nuts] Pulsar Source?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jul 27 12:08:31 UTC 2012

Hi

Pulsars are an "interesting clock". That by no means equates to them being a better clock than an ion standard or possibly a neutron standard. If you look at ADEV numbers, there's pretty much no way a pulsar will be anywhere near the level a good atomic clock can deliver over useful time spans.

For long time spans you get into a "what indeed is time?" issue. Atomic clocks have been more stable than the earth's rotation for quite a while. We correct things to allow for the earth as a result. If you are going to do that for atomic clocks - the same issues get into a pulsar source "as delivered" on earth's surface. Weather you pick it up in space and relay it or not, you still have the math issues of getting it to the surface.

Bob