[time-nuts] Cables dor 10 mHz

francesco messineo francesco.messineo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 07:12:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com> wrote:
> Chris Albertson wrote:
> ...   I wonder how many

> Or maybe more to the point, I wonder how many of us have installed
> 10base5 cable, and done vampire taps?  I think I still have one of
> the tools around here somewhere... probably with my G-D wirewrap
> gun.

In my university years, I had a lot of fun (and a bit of money) with
10Base5 cabling and all the related stuff.
I still have some spare transceivers with vampire taps, brand new in
their boxes. The problem with 10Base5 was that someone overnight would
install his vampire tap on the yellow cable without telling us and
often pick an already assigned IP... that would start me on the "find
the new tap" game (300m of cable running on a couple of lab and
offices filled floors). Those years were fun indeed.

Frank  IZ8DWF