[time-nuts] Vectron Type 229 Crystal Oscillator

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Jun 23 21:41:16 UTC 2012

Hi Nigel,

I don't have any specific info on your oscillator.  If I was doing it,
I'd investigate the oscillator and oven seperately.

Power just the oscillator and monitor the output while you slowly raise
the voltage from zero.  Once the output appears, watch the amplitude as
you increase the supply voltage.  In my experience, it will increase
until some point where a further increase in supply voltage has no
effect on output amplitude due to the action of an internal voltage
regulator.  Now you know the minimum voltage for the oscillator.  Add a
couple of volts for headroom on the voltage regulator.

It isn't as easy to determine the appropriate voltage for the oven.
Start with a low voltage and see if the current ever drops.  If not,
raise the voltage in small increments until it does drop.  You will
probably have to wait for many minutes after each increment to see if
the current will drop.  Now you know the minimum oven voltage at room
temperature.  Since it's probably rated for temperatures lower than room
temperature, the design voltage will be somewhat higher.

I've had good luck with this technique.  YMMV.

Ed