[time-nuts] Distribution amp - Use a video amp unit ?

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Sun Mar 25 18:12:23 UTC 2012

Chris, that's got to be a really old video distribution amplifier. I was
just given a thin rack-mount video distribution amplifier with ten
outputs and the specification says 300 MHz bandwidth at 3 dB. I have not
measured its output level. It is made by Kramer and has BNC and S-video
in/out but no RCA composite video connectors. Well, that's the published
spec; I have not tested it on my Tek 2712.

We are not talking about critical phase relationships, just distributing
10 MHz for sig generators and counters.

Larry

On 3/25/2012 11:01 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> I think people have used video amps.  I got one recently for nearly
> zero cost and it works as spec'd but video signals are typically 1
> volt peak to peak and the amp is spec'd for "10MHz, 1dB" which means
> I'm right at the limit and I'm a 1 dB down, just as the spec says.
> Is 1V P-P enough for your equipment?     This amp is easy to modify
> and I can greatly improve the specs by running it at +/- 15V rather
> then the +/-5V it now uses.
>
> So, my opinion:  Video distribution amps can work but you'll be right
> on the edge of the spec'd limits all around.
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)