[time-nuts] Trimble Resolution SMT - good/bad/indifferent?

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 18:52:24 UTC 2012

Well,  the connector is a standard connector...  it's just 2mm/0.070" spacing.

I would not trust a dropping resistor.  The current consumption on these units does not appear to be constant...  the temperature plot varies depending upon what it is doing (i.e. gets  warmer when acquiring satellites, etc).I also wire wrapped to mine.   Those wires were then wrapped to a 14 pin wire-wrap socket.  I plugged a 3.3V TO-220 LDO regulator (big smoke free hint: their pinouts are not IN-GND-OUT) into the socket and powered it off a 5V wall wart (5V to the antenna power pin).  For RS-232 out,  I used a RS-232 level converter cable (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221005883442) and shoved the single-pin headers on the end of that cable onto the wire wrap socket pins.  It took about 10 minutes to get it all connected and running.

Note that these units do not speak TSIP by default.  They are a special version that acts like a Motorola receiver.  You have to reconfigure them if you want to use Lady Heather (who now speaks to Resolution-T and -SMT).