[time-nuts] Why are 1PPS signals so skinny?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue May 15 21:41:57 UTC 2012

Forgot to mention,

on this list we are often concerned with noise floors of -170dBc or lower,
and stabilities of 1E-013 or lower.

At that level, your scenario of stepping into the room and  turning on the
light will likely cause a measurable effect just because of the  mechanical
vibration you are inducing into the crystal by walking into the  room..

In a message dated 5/15/2012 14:24:07 Pacific Daylight Time,
mikes at flatsurface.com writes:

On  5/15/2012 5:14 PM, SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:
> it is the effect of what  follows after that leading edge, and  propagates
> down the power  supplies to cause side effects that is being discussed
here.

I'm  asking "What side effects?" I haven't seen any mentioned. And
really, if  an increase in power draw of 10 watts for an entire lab
environment causes  any problems, I'd question the quality of the power
supplies, and ask what  happens when you simply turn on the  light?