[time-nuts] GPS antenna in attic?

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Sun Nov 25 16:50:31 UTC 2012

I'm beginning to set up in my new house and planning where all my various
antennas are going to go.  Being a wood frame building, I was wondering if it
was sufficient to simply mount my Thunderbolt GPS antenna high in the attic.  It
would be convenient as there is already a high quality CATV line running from
there to my lab area that I'm not going to use and the Thunderbolt antenna
system is 75 ohms.  Will I have much attenuation going through an asphalt
shingle roof?  What if it is wet?  Or has some snow on it?  Another advantage
for me would be I could mount that antenna on the opposite end of the house from
where I will have VHF and UHF transmitter antennas.

Peter