[time-nuts] How dies a Rubidium ?

Luciano Paramithiotti timeok.it at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 15:31:52 UTC 2013

Claude,

The main loop of a Rubidium oscillator is composed from a Lamp and a light
sensor . The sensor detect the light level and the relative voltage is
present on the external connector of the Rubidium (see the manual of yours).
During the life of the Rubidium, some lamp particles obscure the internal
side of the lamp glass. Consequently decreases the light intensity . Monitoring
the voltage of the sensor you can understand the state of life of the lamp.
You can see in the Rubidium Manual the voltage range for the correct
working conditions.
Other measurement can detect the end of life before the the unlock of the
Rubidium is to measure the phase noise of the 10 MHz output signal. This
Noise will increase with the end of the life of the Lamp. Th do this
measurement sophisticate intruments are needed.
I suggest to monitor the voltage as previously described.

Hope to contribute to help you,

Luciano
www.timeok.it

Luciano