[time-nuts] Embedded NTP server ideas and feature requests

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 10 08:40:31 UTC 2013

- although I've never used it, I do like Chris's suggestion of power over
Ethernet.  I see dozens of choices in Amazon's lists - is there a standard
for the power adapter and level?
[]
==============================

To clarify, now I've done a little reading, I would be expecting to use a
local wall-wart power supply to inject whatever low-voltage DC (9V or 12V
perhaps?) into the Ethernet cable, and would be happy to use an extractor at
the far end (near the Laureline GPS NTP Server).  I would /not/ be using the
higher voltage (up to 48V) specified in the PoE standard.

By the way, a number of people have asked about a pre-built version of my
Raspberry Pi server, and I've always have to turn them down, so a
ready-to-go box like the Laureline with a GPS receiver sounds to have a good
potential market.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu