[time-nuts] matlab, python, etc.

Peter Monta pmonta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 01:59:46 UTC 2013

Let me put in a recommendation for python / scipy / numpy / matplotlib as a
replacement for Matlab or octave.  I used Matlab as a student and octave
since, and they do their job well, but the python tools have the advantage
of a better, more modular, less idiosyncratic language.

The scipy project, in particular, aims to be a glue among the many
numerical-software products with python bindings (which is almost
everything), and there is matplotlib for visualization.  Documentation is
reasonable but not as polished or consolidated as with a commercial product.

There's also sage on the symbolic side.  And gnuradio for DSP- or
communications-oriented dataflow tasks is worth a look.

Cheers,
Peter