[time-nuts] How far can I push a crystal?

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 20 22:23:53 UTC 2013

Ed, busy weekend happening, delayed my response. Bob Camp's reply regarding the
DFF was spot on, and your connections below are just what to do. When feeding a
DFF with non-synchronous signals it's likely setup and hold times will be
violated. When that happens oscillation is possible, but usually dies out fairly
quickly so that setup and hold times are met for the second DFF. The second DFF
is thus much less likely to exhibit an incorrect output condition.

I'm not sure about a single-PLL approach, thinking of multiplications of 953 and
38 as two steps, and thus two PLLs. If you can multiply by 36214 (to
1207.133MHz) in a single step I'd like to know more about your approach. In
general I feel uncomfortable with such a high multiplication factor, just
because of the time lag through the long divider. Since I'm no PLL expert I may
be totally wrong, so any comments made by you or others will improve my
knowledge base.

I had forgotten your earlier email about the previous noisy attempt, sorry my
oscillator comment was redundant. And thanks for the background on the 10.7MHz
starting point. Regarding coming up with a set of numbers for a single PLL
approach I find a spreadsheet and the two online calculators (decimal to
fraction, and factoring) make for easier work. But it will be up to you to
decide what scheme best fits your needs. Good luck with the project!

Bob L.