[time-nuts] Typical HP 5370B resolution ?

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Mon Mar 4 07:41:06 UTC 2013

Mark,

given the fact that the measurement results of a 5370 are integer multiples
of 20 ps it is absolutely natural to see these steps in a phase plot, at
least if the input signals are not bad conditioned. I guess however the
question for the "typical" 5370 resolution was not whether these steps can
be seen or not but was after what the device offers as its effective
resolution. If you look at the AD plot of your Timelab measurements you will
see a much higher number than 2.0E-11 @ 1 s and the number that you see in
the AD plot should be considered the effective resolution because it
reflects the basic resolution as well as the trigger noise.

Best regards
Ulrich