[time-nuts] tutorial on phase noise and PLLs?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 19:41:11 UTC 2014

I'm looking for a real short (3-4 slides or a website, really)
description of why the phase noise of a PLL (microwave) looks the way it
does, explaining (in sort of qualitative terms) how the phase noise
transitions from the VCO (outside the loop bandwidth) to the reference
(inside the loop bandwidth)..
And in particular, what the phase noise curve looks like if the loop
bandwidth is chosen incorrectly, or if the VCO or reference has more or
less noise than expected.

I figured before I wrote one up, if someone knows of one that's already
out there, I could just point people to it.