[time-nuts] Linear voltage regulator hints...

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 02:44:58 UTC 2014

That seems to be generally true, but as always there are outliers.

The LT1034 bandgap reference has 6uVp-p of low frequency noise at 2.5V,
which compares favorably with the 20uVp-p of noise at 6.95V of the LM399.
Of course, for many applications, you will have to amplify the 2V reference
to what you need, which will bring up additional noise while the 6.95V of
the LM399 may be closer to what you need.

Of course, the tempco of the LT1034 does not even get close to that of the
LM399, but it is not thermostatically regulated and draws considerably
lower power. You can't have everything :)

I observe that the LT1034 has two outputs, the high quality 2.5V and a
lower quality 7V.

http://www.linear.com/parametric/Shunt_Voltage_References

Didier KO4BB